Social Icons

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Valentine1 BlendMount Installation & Hardwire

When you buy any new car you want to make it your own in some way. For me that was installing a new roof rack and finally having my radar detector hardwired. The dilemma I have with my Valentine1 Radar detector is that those damn suction cup mounts never hold and always give way at the most inopportune time. There had to be a better way to mount one.

BlendMount by j28 Design was the answer. Their USA made machined aluminum mount clamped firmly onto the base of my mirror stem and held my Valentine1 firmly in place. It is fully adjustable and gives unimpeded view of the road to scan for bogies. Never again will I have suction cups on my window.

I will admit that it wasn’t the easiest thing to install. First I had to disassemble the Valentine1 Suction mount by pulling off the suction cups. Next with the included hardware I attached it to the Blend Mount.  Now it was time to install it. While visually it looks like there is plenty of room to work it’s a pretty tight space behind the mirror.

It took some effort and after a lost screw It was attached. I slide the Valentine1 into the clamp and ensured it was level and it was mounted, Unfortunately I had yet had the wire installed. That was next.

While I am a weekend warrior and not generally afraid to try things on my own I decided to let the pro’s do the electrical work. My trusted mechanic came to the rescue in in just an hour he had it hardwired in and the wire tucked away in the column and along the roof liner. It is now all mounted and wired and working awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment