Social Icons

Friday, September 16, 2011

Task 30 – Sophie’s Cuban Cuisine (Financial District, New York, NY)

(30) Eat in 10 New Restaurants (16/20)

Restaurant: Sophie’s Cuban Cuisine

Website: http://www.sophiescuban.com/73new

Rating: 4-stars

While in NYC to explore Liberty and Ellis Islands we were starving and walking around Battery Park. A quick hop on yelp yielded a list a mile long of restaurants that offered lunch. This group is not your pasta every meal kind of group and we wanted to try something that well isn’t the norm at home.

We settled on Sophie’s Cuban Cuisine. Located just a few blocks away from Battery Park it was a short walk and well worth it. When we arrived it was just before the lunch rush and it was sweltering hot inside. I guess the only turn the AC when the customers start coming in. Hating heat I wasn’t a happy camper but before I could say a word the AC was on and the temperature cooled to a nice and comfortable level.

Dan and I ordered a standard Cuban sandwich and it wasn’t a standard sandwich. It was the best thing I have ever tasted. The roast pork melted in my mouth and the bread was fresh and crunchy. My mother ordered the Pernil with a Twist which is Roast Pork with sweet plantains’ and Sophie’s special green sauce. It too was out of this world. I wish I had one of these at home in Boston.  Having been to Brazil and fallen in love with Guanabana I had no option but to order the Guanabana Shake (Baticos) which brought me back to Copacabana Beach.  

About 10 minutes after we were well into eating our meals it was amazing the place almost instantly filled to capacity and the hungry New Yorker’s were devouring the Cuban food like vultures. Clearly we got lucky and picked a place that isn’t a tourist trip but a place where New Yorker’s in the know grab a great Cuban meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment