Social Icons

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

American Dagger Moth Caterpillar, Acronicta Americana

Today, as I was on my usual lunch time 1.5 mile walk with the boy’s we came across a very bright yellow caterpillar sporting black tufts moving quickly across the busy road. Having no idea if he would turn into a beautiful butterfly or an ugly moth I moved him to the side of the road using a stick to ensure his safety from the cars that travel this one lane road.

When we returned a quick Google search for Fuzzy Yellow Caterpillar quickly identified this colorful creature as a young American Dagger Moth Caterpillar (Acronicta Americana).  I learned that these fuzzy caterpillar go from a bright yellow when they are young to a very pale to white color. I also learned that you should avoid touching them as their setae or coat with black tufts will sting you and leave irritations on your skin. Thankfully I moved him with a stick rather than picking him up.

I also learned that they can grow up to 2 inches in size and that they are often found in their moth form from April to September and in their caterpillar form from July to October in deciduous woodlands and forests east of the Rocky Mountains. When in their moth form they are brownish grey with darker markings and have a large wingspan of 5-6 cm.




No comments:

Post a Comment