Social Icons

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Task 96 - Mountain Bike 10 Times

(96) Go mountain biking 10 times (1/10)
Location:   Marlborough, MA
Distance:   4.75 Miles
Time:         30 Minutes
Having not gone trail riding in years and knowing I wasn’t in the same physical condition as I used to be when we went daily I was skeptical that such a hot day was a wise choice to go out. However even though the temperature was 95+ and there was heat advisories telling everyone to stay inside I promised my brother I would go mountain biking with him and so we did. I took as much water with me as I could and filled my bottle with ice to keep it cool. I made sure to dress with no cotton’s hoping it would keep me cool. As we started along the road and I was instantly a puddle of sweat, the humidity was brutal. When we finally reached the trail we would take I got a reprieve from the blisteringly hot sun under the dense canopy of trees. While mostly downhill the loose rock from the dry ground made the trail challenging.  The trail lead us to a clearing for the power lines and we followed that clearing a good distance almost entirely uphill where I could barely keep up and struggled to catch my breath. We finally cut through someone’s yard to get to the road. Unsure of where we were we wandered down the road hoping to recognize something. Finally we found Sudbury Street and knew how to get home. We didn’t take the most direct route since my He-Man of a brother wanted to challenge us. We cut through neighborhood after neighborhood until finally I recognized my brother’s neighborhood. Thankful to get back I realized I had yet to catch my breath as the heat and the uphill peddling sucked every ounce of strength from me.
After some AC and fresh ice water I was back to normal and was thankful I went. Hopefully we can make this a more regular activity.


No comments:

Post a Comment