Social Icons

Friday, July 22, 2011

Task 9 - Hampton Beach

(09) Visit 5 new beaches. (1/5)
Beach:         Hampton Beach
Location:     Hampton Beach, NH 03842
Rating: êêê
Who chooses to go to Hampton Beach on the hottest day of the year so far. Well I guess I do. With the anticipated crazy hot 3 digit temperatures I decided to take a Friday vacation day and enjoy the cold water and hot sand of Hampton Beach. The weather didn’t disappoint and the car said it was 108 degrees. I have been to Hampton Beach before several times while in college but never to enjoy the beach but rather the unique crowd and shows at the Hampton Beach Ballroom and boardwalk.
After a late start we arrived just in time to pick out a small patch of sand to claim as our own on the desert like sand before we enjoyed lunch at the Boardwalk Café. We enjoyed a mix of sweat and seafood as we ate on the open deck of the restaurant enjoying the view of the beach. I ordered the clam strips and they were amazing light and crispy and they were accompanied with french fries and an icy cold Coke. If it wasn’t for the ice cold coke I might have melted on the spot it was so hot.
After a tasty lunch I realized I wasn’t going to survive in the sun without an umbrella to block out some of the intense sun. We stopped at one of the many shops along Ocean Blvd and picked up some cheap but perfect umbrellas to keep us cool. As soon as my bare feet touched the sand I knew that was the right decision it was blisteringly hot.
After about 30 minutes of baking on our beach towels like peanut butter cookies we both decided that we had better cool off in the Atlantic. The 10 yard trip from our towels to the water was not a pleasant experience. I am sure I burned the bottom of both my feet. Once my toes hit the water I knew it was going to cool me off fast and I swear my feet froze in the icy water.  The temperature of the ocean took my breath away as I quickly dunked my whole body to cool off but it was a perfect way to beat the summer heat. We repeated this same routine several times and after about 2 hours we decided we had had enough. Our bottle water was now nearly boiling and no longer refreshing and we both were not enjoying our rowdy new beach neighbors.
They had positioned themselves about 2 feet from our towels and began having loud conversations on their cell phones and with each other about things that shouldn’t be shared with those you don’t know or discussed in a public forum. With miles of beach I couldn’t understand why they set up next to us.
We quickly made our way back to the boardwalk and washed our feet with the hot bottled water for the short walk back to our parking spot. Sadly I have no pictures since I left the phone in the car not wanting to get it all sandy or leave it unattended when I went in the water. It was however a great day with awesome company and perfect weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment