Social Icons

Friday, October 5, 2012

Home Improvement - Breakfast Bar

Installing a Breakfast Bar

I rarely entertain and almost never throw dinner parties and as a result I got rid of my 6 seat dining room table almost a year ago. With no formal place to eat I found myself having meals on my coffee table. This is ok when it is just me but once in a while I have another person over for dinner. Having a guest eat at the coffee table is less then ideal.

Before remodelling my kitchen I used to have breakfast bar but it didn't make the cut and was removed. Not really interested in having a big table that takes up lots of space again I decided to revive the idea of a breakfast bar.

I have over remodeled my condo and am already at a point where I may not see some of what I have invested returned when I sell as long as housing prices remain low. Not wanting to compeat with the granite in the kitchen and cost being a factor I decided to look at alternative materials. Everything seemed to be almost the same price as granite. I didn't want to spent the $600 they were looking for to complete the job.

My friend Chris being a contractor and landlord regularly watches those home improvment shows like "design on a dime" and in one episode they featured a home with a similar problem. They had a perfect solution and he suggested I do the same. Their solution was a low cost butcher block counter from Ikea that they cut to fit the space. This seemed like the perfect plan and at $129 for the counter fit the budget for the job.

Shortly there after I picked up the counter and a few corbels at Lowes. I spent $129 on the counter $90 on the corbels and $5 on the butcher block oil treatment for a grand total $225. I made a template out of cardboard and once I found the size and shape I wanted it was time to get to work. I brought the counter to his house since he has all the tools and more space to work. We got the counter set up on saw horses and it didn't take long to sketch out the pattern on the counter. 30 minutes later we had the counter shape cut out. Next we used a router to soften the exposed edges. Once completed it was time to dry fit the counter in my condo.

After dry fitting and checking levels it was time to install the corbels that would serve as support. I choose to mount them on either side of the opening where I was sure to hit studs. Next we dry fit the counter again to be sure everything lined up and it looked great. To permanantly install the counter we used liquid nails and applied it liberally to the corbels and to the sill the counter would sit on.

Since it was likely that it might have to support a fair amount of weight such as someone possibly leaning on it with their full body weight I opted to add a mechanical support in the form of a L bracket that would run the full length in the kitchen and be screwed into both the counter and the sill.

I am very pleased with how it came out. With it all installed all I have left to do it caulk it in, stain the surface, and paint the corbels. Shouldn't be too hard or take too long.






No comments:

Post a Comment