Social Icons

Monday, August 6, 2012

Task 89 – Skydiving (SkyDive Pepperell, MA)

(89) Go Skydiving (Indoor or Outdoor)

Date: Monday, August 6, 2012
www.skyjump.com | (978) 433-9222

Of all my Bucket List items I think that Sky Diving was the one I was most apprehensive about.  The idea of jumping out of a perfectly good plane at 12,500ft seems well crazy. Having just completed my first Tandem Jump and am already ready to schedule the next trip to the clouds.
We arrived at Sky Dive Pepperell at 12:30 for out 1:00 scheduled appointment. We checked in and were told to meet at the Waiver Room at 1:00 to go through the first part of our training. At 10:00 we signed our lives away and listened to a video recording of a lawyer basically tell us that sky diving is an extreme sport and that we could be killed or seriously maimed by participating.

At about 2:00 we began suiting up for our jump and we meet the jumpers we would trust our lives with. They were a fun and energetic group that immediately put us at ease and keep the mood light and playful. One of the jumpers asked me how many times I planned to jump.  With it still and unknown I said probably once to which he replied jokingly that parachutes are optional then. They were a great group who clearly know what they are doing.
They explained position of exiting the plan, posture during free fall, and the specifics of landing. They also gave many tips for ensuring a good time. While on the plane the continued to keep the mood light and engaging all the first time jumpers. While our videographers communicated with us and recorded our last moments before jumping our tandem jumpers were double checking all the clips that bound us together.  Less than 10 minutes after take-off we had reached our altitude of 12,500 ft and we could see the curvature of the earth.

Suddenly the door opened and the wind grew louder. Two solo jumpers went first showing us how easy it is. Their effortless exit made it seem even more exiting. My brother opted to go first and I followed shortly behind him. Before I knew it he was gone and racing towards the ground. Focused more on what I learned about how to position myself I had no time for nerves and I was out the door myself. My gut instinct was to initially close my eyes and I am glad I didn’t, that first few seconds out the door were best with the amazing views and hearing the rush of wind whistling by as we accelerated to terminal velocity.

Caro my camera lady took the next 60 seconds of free fall to capture video and pictures of my experience.  She was within arms length most the time and Reid my tandem jumper guided us into several spins to show off on film.  As we approached the clouds it was an incredible to feel the moisture in the air and the sudden white out conditions. As quickly as the cloud appeared we were below it and our 60 second freefall was over. With the pull of the cord out parachute deployed and we slowed down to a comfortable cruising speed.
During our glide Reid pointed out the various landmarks such as the Atlantic Ocean and the Boston Skyline before handing over control of the chute to me. He taught me how to turn each direction and how to slow my decent.  This gentle decent was sadly over after about 4 more minutes and we began our approach to the airfield where we had begun our journey.

As I looked down I could see the parachutes of those that went before me on the ground and as instructed I lifted my legs for a butt first landing. Right before we landed we pulled down on the cords to slow our landing until we landed with less force then most do when sitting in a chair.
Caro was quick to join us capturing my big smile and excitement of the jump.  After a quick snap of the clips Reid and I were again two people instead of the 1 it felt like on the way down.  I can’t wait to go again and I still can’t get over how comfortable I felt from the start to finish. SkyDive Pepperell has a truly great time of professional jumpers who made it an unforgettable experience. Even better was being able to immediately share the video our jump with my parents who has watched from the ground. I think my mom might join us next time











No comments:

Post a Comment