Social Icons

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Task 30 – Val’s Restaurant and Lounge (Holden, MA)

Restaurant: Val’s

Address:     75 Reservoir St
                    Holden, MA 01520
                    (508) 829-0900
                   
www.valsrestaurant.com

Stars:          2 – Stars (Food)
                    3 – Stars (Service)

I went to Val’s with a friend because he had been given a gift certificate and almost a year later he just wanted to use it up. Val’s is off the beaten path for anyone who lives in Worcester and Holden isn’t exactly the easiest place to get to.

When we arrived, the first thing I noticed was other than the small sign by the road there was little to indicate that this building was Val’s restaurant. It is a very non-descript building. The second thing I noticed was that the Christmas wreath was still hanging in March. Come on time to take that down.

When we entered It was clean and neat and clearly in the mid to late 90’s it had been given a remodel and nothing since had been touched. I immediately got the this is one of those places that the townies go to vibe and the average age was 50+.

We both ordered the Shrimp and Scallop Pasta. It is described as Gulf Shrimp and sea scallops w/baby spinach and tomato in garlic wine sauce w/ choice of pasta. Our meal also came with a salad but it was nothing special. The dressing was gelatinous and over seasoned and the salad was as basic as a salad could get. Our entrée I can only describe as over seasoned and the garlic wine sauce was thick and heavy. The scallops and shrimp didn’t taste fresh and were a bit chewy. The breadstick was just like the ones they give you at the Olive Garden and like the meal it was over salted.

Neither of us finished our meals and while I had it wrapped to go I knew it would end up in the trash when I got home. My buddy went to the bathroom right before leaving and when he returned all he said was that it was the most disgusting bathroom he had seen in a while. Barely any toilet paper and no papertowels. He described it as clearly not having been cleaned in a few days.

Would I return to Val’s? I think not. It just isn’t worth the ride for subpar / average food in a not so easy town to get to. This one is a pass for me.









No comments:

Post a Comment