Social Icons

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Task 30 – Ceres Bistro (Worcester, MA)

Restaurant: Ceres Bistro

Rating:        4-Stars (Food)
                     2-Stars (Service)


This past week was Restaurant Week in Worcester. Many of the most popular restaurants participate and I often try a few of them. This time I picked Ceres Bistro. I have been before but management has changed and I have heard mixed reviews mainly focused on the service.

I called for a reservation thinking it would be packed. Much to my surprise when we arrived at 7:00 it was about 30% capacity. They seemed to have lost my reservation and seemed flustered that they couldn’t find it. Thankfully it wasn’t a problem and they agreed to seat us.

Anyone who has dined out with me knows that my biggest pet peeve is being seated at the kitchen or bathroom door when there are seats available away from those high traffic areas. Well Of course that is where they wanted to seat us. I asked to be relocated immediately.

Our second table was in the Club Room. It is a small room off to the side of the main dining room and was nicely decorated and very intimate. The large sliding doors were open to the outside patio and with the weather unseasonable warm it was delightful to enjoy the fresh air.

However, the first thing I noticed when we were seated was that my dining partner’s water glass had lipstick on it. Additionally, the table cloth while appearing to have been cleaned had a large very visible stain. I also noticed throughout the course of our meal that several of the white plates were chipped.

Our waiter was friendly but seemed to be new to the profession. He failed to bring us bread and oil without being asked and never actually brought the oil. He also brought a beer without a glass and brought me lemon’s instead of limes as I had requested. When I asked for the limes I was told they were out. Really a restaurant ran out of limes on a Friday night during restaurant week. 

Now to the food. Both my dinner partner and I decided to order from the restaurant week menu. For an appetizer I selected the Count Neck Clams. There were 4 clams and they were tasty and tender. The Narragansett larger broth was very flavorful and was a nice compliment.

My dining partner had the Baby Arugula Salad and I will admit I had to try it. It was perfectly dressed in a sweet onion poppy seed dressing and the candied orange peels, pecans, and goat cheese was exceptional compliment to the fresh and crisp greens.

We both selected the same entrée a Heart of Sirloin served with mashed Yukon gold potatoes and fresh vegetables. The sirloin was tender and melted in my mouth. It was cooked perfectly to temperature and had just the right amount of sear to keep it juicy. The potatoes were rich and buttery and complimented the fresh vegetables which were perfectly al dente.

For desert we chose differently to sample each others. I selected the Panna Cotta Duo with pistachio and vanilla honey panna cotta.  The panna cotta was rich and creamy and so smooth. The flavors were perfectly balanced and for me a perfect end to a great meal. My dining partner had the Toasted Marshmallow and Dark Chocolate Bread Pudding served with vanilla bean gelato and cherry reduction. The bread pudding was fresh and light and the chocolate was rich and creamy the ice cream was soft and refreshing. 

I would return again for the food but as nice as the waiter was I hope I get a different one or I hope he learns the trade and perfects his skills.





No comments:

Post a Comment