Social Icons

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Task 30 – 5 Napkin Burger, Boston, MA

(30) Eat in 10 New Restaurants (10/20)

Restaurant: Five Napkin Boston

Rating: 4-Stars

Having been to several of NYC’s 5 Napkin Burger locations and making a point to go every time I hit the Big Apple I was excited to see my favorite burger joint coming to Boston. For my inaugural visit I choose to take my friend Dan for his birthday along with 4 other friends. Having never been to the Boston location I will admit that I was nervous and hoped everyone would like it as much as I enjoy the NYC locations.

When we arrived I immediately recognized the décor in a super sized way. It is significantly larger then my location of choice in Hell’s Kitchen. The open floor plan and large windows really give this space a bright and airy feeling. Meat hooks hanging from the ceiling, retro light bulbs, butcher-themed chalkboard drawings gave the environment a unique personality of a butcher shop but kept it warm and intimate.

We started off our meals with a round of drinks. The drink menu includes 100 international wines, 50 beers, 40 bourbons and a series of specialty cocktails. Dan and Brandon ordered the 16oz Alagash “White” $7.50, while others like me decided to try one of the many specialty cocktails. I tried the Blood Orange Martini made with beefeater Gin, Aperol, Blood Orange Puree, Lemon, Thyme and Simple Syrup $11.00 and Eric and Roy tried the Citrus Cooler made with veev, finlandia grapefruit vodka, smashed ruby red grapefruit and orange $11.50

For our entrée’s there was a mix of options. Brandon and I both got the Ahi Tuna Burger marinated in ginger, scallions and soy with a wasabi mayo and tempura fried onion rings nicely packaged in a sesame egg roll $14.95. Dan tried the original Five Napkin Burger for which the place was named. It was prepared with 10 ounces of fresh ground chuck, cooked to temperature and topped with caramelized onions, rosemary aioli and Gruyere cheese. Dan made a mess with this juicy over-sized burger $13.95. Eric stuck with a non-burger choice and had the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich with its hot sauce, creamy Roquefort dressing, tomato and bacon $12.50. We shared a few sides. The Tater Tots were really delicious crunchy, crispy and filled with creamy, smooth butter and chive mashed potatoes. $4.25 and the Tuscan Fries were tasty and seasoned with parmesan cheese and rosemary.

I have to say I was not even the slightest bit disappointed and only heard praise from my fellow dinner mates. We certainly left full and happy after a great meal. The wait staff was attentive and on the top of their game. No one had an empty drink and the food was presented quickly and with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment