Social Icons

Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Dragonfly Passengers - Autumn Meadowhawk

Every day after lunch the guys and I take a walk through a neighborhood near where we work. We see dragonflies everywhere. They have never landed on any of us, that was until today. Today a pair of Autumn Meadowhawk’s (Odonate sympetrum vicinum) landed on me. At first I stopped moving thinking I might scare them away but when it became clear that they had found a spot they were happy to stay I continued on my walk with them as passengers. I have always been fascinated with Dragon flies and spent countless hours chasing them around my yard trying to get a good photograph but really knew nothing about them.

After a little research I discovered that my passengers were a dragonfly known as an Autumn Meadowhawk. It was fairly easy to identify with a photo in hand and I quickly discovered that it had to be a dragonfly and not a damselfly because while it rested, its wings were spread out and extended horizontally, perpendicular to its body. Damselflies hold their wings together and parallel to their bodies when at rest.

Once I determined that it was a true dragonfly, I did a Google search for red dragonfly’s and discovered that this is a Meadowhawk (a member of the skimmer family). To find the exact species, I compared my photo with others. Based on habitat, the season, and the distinctive red stigmata (dots on its wingtips), I determined that this bright red dragonfly must be an Autumn Meadowhawk. Here in New England, the Autumn Meadowhawk is a late-season dragonfly, often found in grassy meadows and wetlands from early October through November. This species is widespread in the United States and southern Canada, from the east coast, throughout the midwest and westward to the pacific northwest and northern California.

Dragonflies and damselflies serve an important environmental role in a capacity as natural mosquito control. Dragonflies spend most of their life-cycle as waterborne nymphs. During this immature stage (which can last anywhere from two months to five years, depending upon species) dragonflies inhabit swamps, ponds and slow-moving streams, feeding mainly on mosquito and other fly larvae. After metamorphosis, dragonflies continue to serve as adult mosquito predators for the remainder of their lives. Dragonflies are so effective at mosquito control, that many municipalities, parks and private estates purchase and release dragonfly nymphs into wetlands.

I’ve always loved watching these tiny biplane-like creatures as they dart about fields and ponds. Now that I have been properly introduced to the Autumn Meadowhawk and understand a little but about them I am even more fascinated about these beautiful creatures.



   
  


No comments:

Post a Comment