Social Icons

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

RC Helicopter - Esky Big Lama Outdoor

I haven't received mine yet so this is a stock photo
Ever since the Big E and watching the vendor with the RC helicopters I have wanted one. While I didn’t buy one at the Big E because I didn’t know enough about them to feel comfortable purchasing one there I have finally done it.
After spending far too much time researching the different types of helicopters and which is best suited for a beginner I finally purchased an Esky Big Lama v3 Outdoor RC helicopter.  There were so many options and so many different vendors that I really struggled with which helicopter would be best for me. Here are a just a few things to consider when purchasing a RC Helicopter.
1.   Number of channels:  Each channel on the transmitter controls one action on the RC Helicopter. The number of channels determines how many independent functions can be controlled. The less channels the easier it is for beginning pilots. The more channels the more complete control, maneuverability and realism.

The functions that channels can control include:

Throttle: How fast the main rotor blades spin
Yaw: Turning to face left/right
Elevator: Tilting the main rotors to move the helicopter forward or backwards
Aileron: tilting the main rotors to move the helicopter left or right
Collective: Tilting the main rotors in collective pitch
Gyro:  Turning the gyro or other items

 

Throttle
Yaw
Elevator
Aileron
Collective
Gyro
2 Channel
X
X




4 Channel
X
X
X
X


6 Channel
X
X
X
X
X
X


2.   Size: If you are planning to flight outdoors you need a helicopter with enough size and power to be strong enough to resist the wind. Most small helicopters simply do not have the size or power to resist being blown away.
3.   Part Cost:  Everything I read says you are bound to crash your helicopter a few times so make sure to pick a helicopter you can easily get parts for and that those parts aren’t overly expensive. For example with my purchase I bought 2 extra sets of blades and an extra battery
Wish me luck as I learn to fly my helicopter. I will post pictures and videos and share my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment