Social Icons

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Dragon Kite

Over the summer, on one of my better tag sale adventures, I purchased a 76” kite for $2.00 which when flown looks like a dragon in the sky. We really haven’t had a very windy day and so it sat in the corner still in its original packaging.

Today with the winds howling I thought it would be an idea day to break out the new kite and let it take its maiden flight. Dan and I made our way up to Green Hill Park where we knew the winds would be ideal and picked a spot away from most of the people enjoying the park. Surprisingly there was only one other person out with a kite and he seemed to be having a great deal of difficulty keeping his kite in the air.

Hoping to have better luck we carefully unpacked the kite and got it all set up. I discovered that there were two options when configuring the wing setup and picked the one closest to the body structure.

The kite quickly took flight and as quickly crashed into the ground. This back and for went on for about 10 minutes before I decided to take another look at the wing configuration. I discovered that the main supports had almost come undone. I tightened them and put the wing supports in the option farthest out on the wing to give it more stiffness.

I offered the string to Dan and this time the kite went right up and flew consistently. I got some great pictures of it soaring high above in the sky. It crashed a few more times but mostly because the wind was finicky and was howling one minute and gone the next.

I took the controls for the second half and enjoyed flying the kite much more once we got the kinks ironed out of the wings and untangled the string.

It did provide almost 90 minutes of fun for us both and it was a great way to spend a relaxing weekend. I am sure that Dan and I will be flying this beauty again. Here are a few pictures of the Dragon Kite.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment