Social Icons

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Task 66 A - Add trim to doors and replace baseboards

This past weekend I finally installed new baseboards. Previously I have clamshell baseboards and I hated them from the day I moved in. I had decided because of the cost that I would replace them if and when the floors were redone. Well almost 10 years later the floor is the same and as a result the baseboards had never been replaced. I resisted because of the cost but during a trip to Howlett Lumber with my contractor friend Chris I found 16’ 4.3” Speedbase for $8.00 bucks. At $.50 a foot let’s just say that was way too good a deal to pass on and I bought what I needed on the spot.

It took all of a day and a half to complete because I’m slow and there are too many distractions but they are in and they look great. I also wanted to make my door frame’s look a little less plain. I have steal doors and the standard square door frames. I bought a simple piece of molding to wrap around the door edge and used liquid nails to keep them glued to the steel frame since I couldn’t brad nail them. Liquid nails, caulk, and a coming soon paint job should keep them in place for a long time to come.

I’ll post more pictures when everything is freshly painted and you can really see how it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment