Social Icons

Thursday, March 31, 2016

S&W Bodyguard 380 - Slim, small, rugged and reliable.

While I love my H&K VP9 it is impossible to carry it concealed. Having a LTC concealed carry permit I decided I needed to find something smaller and more portable. After doing some research I settled on the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380. I visited my favorite firearms dealer (Four Seasons) to get my hands on it and a few of the other options before my final decision. The reviews, feel and versatility of this gun were great but the quality build sold me. Before I share my thoughts on it I want to remind those reading of the importance of firearm safety.

I strongly recommend that anyone that may handle a firearm take the appropriate course in firearms safety for their area/state. Firearms are not toys and their ownership, use, & possession should be taken seriously. Below are just a few of the most important things to remember when using a firearm.

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

With that safety reminder out of the way lets talk about my first impressions of the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380. Bought with the purpose of being a conceal carry weapon its small size fits perfectly in my pocket and or IWB with out any indication of its presence.  It has an overall length of 5.25" and a barrel length of 2.75".   It's width is really what impressed me at only .842" or slightly less then the circumference of a nickel.

The Bodyguard 380 weighs in at feather light 11.85 ounces unloaded. This is about 2/3 lbs. making you forget it is even in your pocket or IWB holster. Loaded 6+1 the weight increases by 1.52 ounces bringing the max total loaded weight to 13.37ounces. That is only .84lbs. or about the same as can of Coca-cola.

The Bodyguard 380 is chambered for a .380 ACP ammo and comes standard with two 6 round magazines. Being a 6+1 round firearm means you can have 1 cartridge in the chamber and 6 more in the magazine. The two magazines are different; one with a finger groove and another with a flat butt. Having a round in the chamber always makes me nervous but the firearm come standard with a thumb safety for transport and carrying but I never trust a safety. (It locks both trigger and slide). Instead get a case that covers the trigger for carry. I also appreciate the witness hole which allows you the ability to verify the presence of a cartridge in the chamber.


The frame is high strength polymer and the matte black corrosion resistant coated stainless steel barrel and slide are well made. Both the front and rear sights are drift adjustable for windage and dove tailed into the slide. They can also be replaced should you feel the need for something like a tritium xs night sight.

Laser or no laser? The bodyguard 380 can be bought with either a green, red or no laser. I opted to choose no laser since the range of he gun is for close proximity and in a life or death circumstance I don't want to waste time with a laser. I've also read that there had been some quality issues with the lasers.

The Bodyguard 380 is a double action only (DAO) pistol versus a traditional DA/SA pistol. This requires that the trigger pull to both cock and trip the hammer/striker for each and every shot. This means that the hammer will always rest in the down position until the trigger is pulled again. It also means there is no way to cock the gun before shooting. The purpose of a DAO pistol is to avoid the change in trigger pull between the first and subsequent shots. It does have a fairly heavy trigger pull at 6.5lbs but being a pocket gun you don't want the trigger too light. (You can get a trigger kit if you want to lighten the pull)

This firearm also has second strike capabilities meaning you can pull the trigger a second time to strike the primer again. This is less important today with the improved and more reliable ammo but if faced with a situation where racking the slide isn't an option its a nice to have.  Although I do want to comment that using the second strike capabilities on a misfire should only be done in dire circumstances. Instead I recommend a TRB (Tap, Rack, Bang).

Yesterday I took it to the range for the first time and used CCI Blazer Ammunition. I selected .380 Auto 95GR FMJ. This is perfect practice ammo since its about $.36/round. or $18 for a box of 50. I appreciate that the slide locks back on the last round of the magazine like bigger firearms. I let a friend of mine try it out as well and he had a little trouble with his larger hands. As the slide kicked back it clipped his hand a little.

This isn't a range gun. This is a personal protection professional duty pocket carry pistol with a limited range and should be treated as such. It has a very solid and quality feel that you would expect from Smith and Wesson. It's slim, small, rugged and reliable. I appreciated the feel of the grip combined with the finger grove magazine better then the flat butt magazine. It's important to keep in mind if anyone knew they would be in a gun fight they might choose something different. It certainly isn't a tack driving, knock down power pistol but for the comfort of concealability that a pocket firearm like this allows its a no brainer. After all the #1 requirement for a gun fight is having a gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment