Social Icons

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Task 25 – Nicks Comedy Stop, Boston

(25) A live Comedy show.
Venue: Nick’s Comedy Stop
Rating: 3-Star
This past Saturday night I enjoyed some great laughs’ at Nick’s Comedy Stop in Boston.  Making reservations wasn’t easy to do and it took 4 calls/voice mails before getting a call back. The night got off to a great start however when I scored a perfect parking spot right around the corner from the venue that cost 1$.  Combined with the Groupon discount tickets the night looked promising.
The interior is small and intimate and there are bars on either side of the seating area.  The seats were all folding chairs and I got the impression that after the show it doubled as night club. That would explain the awning over the door having a different name on it.  
When I made the reservations we were told that the doors opened at 7:45 and it was best to get there early to get a good seat. Sure enough we had our pick of seats and selected two seats on the isle 4 rows from the front dead center.  Just far enough back to stay clear of any audience participation but close enough to really enjoy.  I was glad to have picked my seats because the columns really made it tough for those seats on the side. The seats were packed tightly together on the main floor with not a whole lot of space for an aisle. Thankfully I was on the aisle and had a pretty small person next to me. As a result I didn’t feel too cramped for space. I don’t think I would have liked being sandwiched in the middle.
A very friendly waitress took our drink order and served us quickly.  The place filled up very quickly and by 8:00 it seemed to be near capacity.
We had bought tickets for advertised headliner Mike Whitman but after a few intro comics we got to Mike. He wasn’t up there very long before they were introducing the headliner as Lisa Landry.  I am glad that she was the headliner as the previous few comics were not that funny.  They all seemed to tell the same joke with a small variation and they all took to the easy topic of gay marriage. Sadly none of the jokes were that funny.
The headliner, Lisa Landry on the other hand was a riot. She didn’t pick any one thing to focus her entire routine on and kept the audience involved. Most of her jokes focused on her own experiences and I have always said if you can’t make fun of yourself you shouldn’t make fun of others. She did both like a true professional and involved the audience in a tasteful but raunchy way.  Her mix of redneck and white trash humor kept me on the edge of my seat and in near tears from laughing so hard.
I was still laughing at the end until I got the check. The drinks prices sober you right up and leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.  7$ for a corona and 10$ for a watered mixed down drink. The fact that they charge such ridiculous prices is a joke. I would recommend the Comic Lisa Landry but I would advise you to skip the drinks at the club.






No comments:

Post a Comment