Social Icons

Friday, September 21, 2012

Task 67 – Re-Paint my Condo


Transforming my home with paint 3rd time

Painting the interior of a home can transform it from the mundane to the inspiring for very little money. Doing it right and picking the best colors that showcases your home best requires serious planning. While the colors I had were great and created a warm and intimate feel I was ready for something brighter and fresher. Additionally I had added new crown molding, replaced the old boring clamshell baseboards with new speedbase and added a new element to my door frames to give them a more appealing appearance. These additions and replacements combined with 4 years of new furniture layouts and art relocations have left my walls marked up and scuffed. The next big decision is to decide what finishes to use. I prefer flat ceilings, semi-gloss trim and egg shell walls. This combination allows for easier maintenance and a soft and even appearance.

Before starting any paint job it is important to remove all obstacles. Removing the furniture allows you room to move without worrying about getting paint on anything and makes the job go faster. Use drop cloths to cover the floor so you don’t have to spend hours wiping up paint drops or over spray from rollers.

The last few steps before painting is to patch any marks or holes and sand any raised areas. Walls often are littered with small holes from nails used to hang pictures and art work and if the walls were painted with cheap rollers small fuzzy’s get left behind. Once the walls are prepped and ready it’s time to paint them. If you replace any wood or if they weren’t pre primed use Kilz to seal the wood before painting. It goes on like paint and penetrates the wood and seals it reducing the likelihood of any knots showing through your new paint job. Once the room is prepped you are ready to go.

The first step of painting a room is to paint the ceiling. While ceilings don’t get dirty they do yellow over time and while mine didn’t look particularly yellow it was the best time to repaint. I selected a bright white in a flat finish. Most “ceiling” paint is hardly white and I think they look dirty and dingy. Keeping a room bright requires a super white ceiling. Painting over head is harder then painting walls and to get more coverage use a ½ nap roller. Make sure to load up the roller with paint but not over loaded. Coat the roller but when you lift it off the paint tray it shouldn’t have paint dripping off it. This will allow for even and good paint coverage. Don’t be afraid to get a little paint on the walls or the crown molding because you will be repainting that next. Just don’t let any large globs or drips to dry wipe them off quickly. I also believe everything needs two coats. Putting a second coat on ensures that you have an even appearance and no missed spots. Remember to allow each coat to dry before continuing to the next coat. If you don’t wait you will end up with globs of paint and drips. Multiple thinner coats are better than one heavy coat.

After finishing the ceilings the next thing to paint is the molding. I again selected a super white paint but opted for a semi-gloss finish. Using a semi-gloss finish will make the molding shine without being to glitzy and will allow future maintenance to be easier. It lays down smooth and even and can be easily cleaned with a sponge and some soapy water and adds a nice contrast to the ceiling. Again I am a firm believer in multiple coats. Inevitably something is missed and adding a second coat reduces the possibilities of anything being missed.

When choosing a new wall color I wanted something brighter and something that would make my condo feel larger and cleaner. Previously I called my condo a crayola crayon box of colors. Every room had a different color. I felt this made my condo feel smaller and more broken up. Part of what makes my home appealing to me is the large rooms and open floor plan. I decided that I would reduce the number of colors and paint the hallway, living room and kitchen the same color. I opted to paint the bedroom a couple shades darker to keep the warm feeling while maintaining consistency. I had already recently painted the bathroom and decided to leave that color alone. The colors I picked were both Valspar colors, Palomino and Belle Grove Buff.

While I like their colors I do not like their paint and opted to have those colors color matched by Benjamin Moore. Using good paint can make painting a room a much easier work of a job that isn’t exactly fun. Benjamin Moore in my opinion is the best paint. It goes on even and coats well on the first coat. The big box stores advertise paint that primes and coats with one pass. Try it and I promise the next time you paint you will buy a slightly more expensive paint because the quality of the paint reduces the labor.

The best way to paint a wall is to edge first. Edging is when you paint along moldings first. This keeps the rollers away from your freshly painted molding and ensures a perfect line. It takes a steady hand and a good angled brush. Like good paint having the right tools can make the job easier and allow you to finish it quicker. Don’t buy that cheap $5 brush. Instead opt for a natural fiber brush. It will hold the paint better and give you more control. Once you have put two coats on the edge you are ready to roll. This is where the room will start to take shape. It is important to allow each coat to dry before putting the second coat on. Don’t rush the job it will show.


The process was going very smoothly for me except one day when I started the living room I discovered my floor was wet from a clogged A/C drain pipe and a damaged drip pan. Once the drain was snaked, the pan repaired and the plumbing redone the room started to take shape..

For walls you don’t want to use a heavy nap like you did on the ceiling. A finer nap will keep the smooth finish that looks best on walls. A 3/8 nap is best and most paint professionals will tell you so. Like painting the ceiling it is important to put the right amount of paint on the roller. It should be full but not dripping. When you roll the wall out you shouldn’t be pushing hard against the wall. Let the roller do the work. If you are running out of paint go back to the tray to get more. Be sure to go over any paint lines and keep the wall smooth. Work in an organized fashion and be methodical. Start on one fid of the room and work your way around.

Once you finish painting the walls the job isn’t done until everything is back in place. Put your furniture back first and then hang your art. This will limit the need to move art and add more holes then necessary to your freshly painted walls. The feeling of accomplishment and the money saved by doing it yourself will give you great satisfaction. Below are some pictures from my place. I couldn’t move all my furniture out of all the rooms since I just don’t have the space but notice it’s all covered. It also took me a solid week to paint the whole place since I was doing it at night after work.











No comments:

Post a Comment