Social Icons

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Restaurant Review - Davide (North End, Boston)

Restaurant: Davide
Location: 326 Commercial Street, Boston, MA 02109 

Rating: êêê

Last night struggling to decide where to eat a freind and I decided we would venture into Boston and head to the North End.  Keeping my budget in mind we used a restaurant.com certificate that I had purchased nearly a year ago. Having had a great several times before at Davide I suggested we try it again. When we arrived we noticed that what had been a quiet restaurant before was now packed with people. We quickly discovered that Davide had been featured on Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.

FOX Kitchen Nightmare's Episode 7 Season 3

Sadly this doesnt qualify as completing one of my tasks since I have been here before but I thought I would write a review anyways. As a fan of Gordon Ramsey's two shows I was excited to give the new Davide a chance. Immediately I noticed that the interior had been updated. It had been one of those old dated well used restaurants with old world charm but I didn't go for the ambiance I went for the food. I care more about good tasty food then a restaurant with too much overhead but I have to admit that it was a definite improvement.

It took a while to be seated and almost thought we had been forgotten at the door. It seemed that Kim the hostess was struggling to keep everything running smoothly and spent too much time helping waiter's that seemed unable to handle their own jobs.

We started our meal with the caesar salad made tableside. It wasnt exactly tableside. It was more like three tables down in the diningroom. I would have prefered if the waiter preparing our salad had put the rolling table right next to our table and made it for us to watch. Why offer a show if the patron can't see it without having to rubberneck three tables away.  Even though I got a sore neck from twisting to watch the ceasar being made it was very tasty and overall an excellent start.

For our entree's I ordered the Veal Scallopini and my friend the Cod Acqua Pazzo.

The entree's seemed to take forever to come out and we discovered that they had an issue with the printer in the kitchen and our order had not made it to the chef. The bread had quickly run out as we were both very hungry.

First the Veal Scallopini. The veal had a base of polenta and was covered in mushrooms with a madiera sauce.  The veal was not as tender as it should have been. I also felt it was too thin a peice of veal and had an over abundance of mushrooms on top. The madiera sauce however was very flavorful and helped mask the bland texture of the polenta.

Second the Cod. The cod also started with a base of polenta. While the fish was cood perfecly the polenta like with the veal was bland and uninspiring.

In summary while the inside seems much nicer the food has lost some of its fantastic flavor and the portions are much smaller. It went from old world charm to typical Boston for me. It isn't the run back again next week kinda of place but it was an enjoyable meal at a fair and reasonable price.





No comments:

Post a Comment