Social Icons

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Prepping for Hawaii - Nikon AW110 Waterproof Camera & Nikon D80 Additions

Well we are 3 month away from Hawaii and I decided that while I love my SLR camera It isn’t always the most convenient. There are often times when conditions prohibit the use of my favorite camera such as events where water is involved. Since much of my time in Hawaii will be spent either at the beach or doing some form of water related activity I thought it was time for me to spring for a waterproof camera.

I researched many different options and settled on the Nikon AW100. I picked it for a couple reasons. First, I have experience with the brand and am comfortable with the quality of their products both in build and performance. Second, the reviews speak for themselves. Who can argue when so many people have such great experiences? I am looking forward to getting this camera wet in the waters of Oahu.

I do plan to bring my SLR for those days and events where I prefer the performance of an SLR but this camera will be a great compliment. I also plan to be able to use it when I am Kayaking or Boating. Great way to get those shots without worrying about the water.

I also got a great deal online and only paid $184.95 for the camera which has a retail of $349.99 at Target. That leave me with enough extra to purchase a second battery, a case and a couple good high speed memory cards with plenty left over.






Update 7/11/13: So this camera is out of stock and the vendor informed me that it is back ordered and they expect it to ship in 2-4 weeks. Hopefully that is accurate and I will have it in time for my trip. If not I’ll end up paying full price for it at Target. Everyone knows I am not a fan of paying full price for anything. They also adjusted the price to 174.95 to the currently website price.

Update 7/23/13: The vendor informed me after calling that it is due to ship on Friday and they have upgraded my shipping from ground to 3-day air at no charge. Looking forward to trying the camera out soon.

Update 7/29/13: Vendor informed me after calling that they are having trouble sourcing the camera and that it could take a while to receive. I cancelled the order since I want it for the trip and didn't want to risk waiting for it.

Update 7/30/13: I purchased the camera on eBay. It is new in the box and unopened I am looking forward to receiving it and testing it out in the pool. I also ordered a floating strap and case for it as well. I did pay a little more then the online retailer's price of 174.95 but I know it will get here on time. I just need to purchase a second battery and Ill be satisfied I have everything I need/want.

Now that the camera is purchased and actually coming I thought I should pick up a float and case for the device. I don't want to risk dropping it an losing it in the water and when not in use I don't want it getting damaged. As such I purchased the Coolpix Floating strap and the Nikon Sport case. Both will be great additions to the new camera.

In addition to finally buying the AW110 I also picked up a few other items for my Nikon D80. Battery power is always something to be aware of and rather then worry about carrying an additional battery I purchased the MD-80 Battery grip for the d80. It will hold two batteries and double my camera's battery life. It does add weight to the unit but worth not having a battery flopping around in my pocket. It will be a great addition for those long day long tours where I want to make sure my camera will last all day.




No comments:

Post a Comment