Social Icons

Friday, April 15, 2011

Task 30 - Allgos Sweets & Drinks, Worcester, MA

(30) Eat in 10 New restaurants (7/20)

Restaurant: Allgos Sweets & Drinks
Location:     58 Shrewsbury Street
                    Worcester, MA 01604-4625

Rating: 1-Star

I had never been to Allgos but heard about it from a bunch of people. The reviews were mixed but with a Groupon I decided to give it a try for dessert after a great meal and drinks at Baba Sushi.

Not knowing where on Shrewsbury Street is was my eyes were peeled as I looked. I almost drove right by it since from the outside it looked closed. It was dark and not particularly inviting.

When Dan and I walked in I immediately felt out of place. It is clearly more Guido bar then it is Dessert Lounge. The bar was clearly popular but the rest of the dining area looked like a mess of tables not laid out well. There were tables right on top of each other with no room to move a chair and in the corner a big spot where there where no tables.

Dan ordered a Latte and I ordered a cappuccino while we decided over the list of options for dessert..  Dan choose the Peanut Butter Cheesecake and I decided to try the sampler which had slivers of  the Hazelnut Cake, Limonchello Rasberry Cake, NY Style Cheesecake and the Coconut Cake.

Sadly both Dan and I couldn't find much worth having here for desserts and coffee. Both coffee's tasted burnt and the desserts were clearly not fresh. All of it had that open box not touched in a while refrigerator taste.

The bar scene looked popular and the drinks looked good so I think they realized that they would be successful as a bar and not really a dessert shop and really let that portion of their business suffer. I rated it based on dessert's and coffee not drinks. They might have rated higher if I had a cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment